This Page

has been moved to new address

Big Kiss's Kindy Story

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Momma Kiss: Big Kiss's Kindy Story

Momma Kiss

If momma ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

Thursday, September 9, 2010

Big Kiss's Kindy Story

This week has been full of something akin to sitting in the bed of a pick-up truck, full of dog shit, on a hot day.

 

That descriptive enough for you?

 

Jaysus, I need life to throw me a bone.

 

Clearly the first day of kindergarten, for my first born, was going to be hard. Mainly on Momma. I was fully expecting that. But my kid? He's pretty adaptive, laid back, shy at first, but loves to learn and stuff.  I figured I'd drop him off, take some pictures through my tears and go have my spa day whilst drowning in the sorrows of my baby growing up.

 

Not so much.

 

My kid cried as I stood by him in the 'room line' before school. And as he walked away from me [see that Wordless Weds picture]. He didn't look back, he kept right on walking, my brave boy, but he was crying all the same. One of the saddest pictures I've ever taken of this child. 

 

I let him go…went to the spa…had a massage from hell [not the therapist's fault, my back is fucked up], went grocery shopping and then did what any mother in her right mind would do.

 

I stalked my kid on the playground. I knew when recess started, so I was in the parking lot in my car, slumped down low like a criminal and watched him run out, swing, slide and generally be a little kid burning off steam. I noticed he wasn't really joining up with other kids, but I didn't expect him to. He's NOT like me, the social butterfly, he's much more like his Dada in that way.  It takes him a bit to warm up. 

 

I went to get a coffee and again found myself in the same parking lot, sitting low, while he came out of school and waited for the bus.

 

Lemme back up – our daily schedule will be Momma drops off in morning, Big Kiss takes a bus to daycare, Momma (or Mr. Kiss) picks up both boys from daycare after work.

 

So since I didn't want him to see me and ruin his soon-to-be new routine, I hid again.  He got on his bus – and off – like a pro. Yes, I hauled ass to make it to daycare before the bus did. And I have pictures. Taken from the backseat of my crime-mobile. 

 

The teacher was so awesome to e-mail parents with a report on their child's first day of kindy. She told me he cried 'til snack time and then had a good day. And I replied and asked for advice.  Turns out they read a book called The Kissing Hand, which was in his folder. Which I had received the week before. Which I didn't bother to fucking open. Which would have helped us, I think. Anyway – it's about a kid being scared to go to kindergarten and his momma gives him a kiss on his left hand, which is connected to the left shoulder, which is connected to the heart. And when the kid was sad during the day, he could look at his hand or touch his hand to his cheek and think of his momma.   So on day 2, I walked him in, kissed his hand, told him I'd see him after school and left. He was crying again. But I didn't linger. I need to let go.

 

He said his second day was better, that he only cried because he missed me for "a little bit."

 

This morning? I asked if he needed a kissing hand, he said "No Momma, because I know daycare, I've been there lots." Yah. They have no school today or tomorrow for the jewish holidays. I love the jews.

 

We shall start anew on Monday.


Oh and an f.y.i. for those of you who were happy to toss your kid to school, well, I envy you and more power to ya. Enjoy your quiet time! Seriously! But for us, both of my kids have been in daycare since 4 mos old - they're used to not being home during the day...for me, this kindy thing is the start of something so new for our whole family. New schedules, friends, buses, etc. For the kid, well, he's like the fucking Mayor or daycare. Big Man On Campus. He didn't know anyone in his class and is totally out of his comfort zone. Anyway. Felt like 'splainin' my sissy self. 

 

 

**********

p.s. - Join me again tomorrow for Friday Flip Offs - still helping Gigi at www.kludgymom.com

I'll try to get a link up early.

Labels:

19 Comments:

Blogger The mad woman behind the blog said...

Openly crying now. thanks for that.

Hugs to you and your little guy.

but a big FU for pulling my heartstrings and making me cry like a baby.

9/9/10, 12:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah, thanks. crying here too. and laughing because picturing you slouched down in your parked car watching your own kid made me LOL.


i was exactly where you were 12 years ago. My first baby starting kindy. She was way braver than me. Told me to leave whilst I bawled like a newborn. She started her senior year last week. You know what that means...crap.

9/9/10, 1:30 PM  
Blogger Shell said...

That book- waaaaaahhhh!

Do you know what kills me? I asked my kindergartner about friends, who they were. "I don't have any yet, Mom."

WHAT? The child who goes up to someone wherever they are and just instantly starts playing with other kids? He doesn't have any friends yet? That breaks my heart.

LOL @ I love the Jews.

I'm in the South. Where you don't ask someone IF they go to church, you just ask them WHERE they go.

9/9/10, 1:39 PM  
Blogger Moooooog35 said...

Stalk much?

You're lucky he doesn't know how to take out a restraining order.

They don't learn that til 1st grade.

9/9/10, 2:03 PM  
Blogger Keia said...

Hilarious! I am dreading the first day of school! I was heart broken when my son switched daycares and waved bye happily as I dropped him off on his first day at the new daycare!

If it makes you feel any better my cousin has four girls (ages 5-7-9-13). She stalks the youngest one at school every day!

9/9/10, 2:03 PM  
Blogger Keia said...

@ Shell...
"I'm in the South. Where you don't ask someone IF they go to church, you just ask them WHERE they go."

This was so weird to me when I lived in the South! Or if it wasn't where do you go it was who is your Pastor, etc?

9/9/10, 2:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, poor guy!!

All of my kids were thrilled to be going to school. Even my stuck to my butt all day "baby", he's almost 4, couldnt wait for me to drop him off at pre-school. I was like um did you miss me? At all? Um. nope. He did not. lol

9/9/10, 2:05 PM  
Anonymous Jennie @ Modern Mamaz said...

Make sure you bring your cell with you when stalking your child. You'll want a way to tweet your bail request.

9/9/10, 2:44 PM  
Blogger Natalie said...

Dammit girl! I'm literally crying because I know this will be me in another couple of years!! And then when you mentioned the book? That made even more tears show up!!

But your first paragraph? Made me laugh. So thank you :)

9/9/10, 3:04 PM  
Anonymous bitethebedbugs said...

You don't need to explain a thing. Transitions are hard, shitty things and it sounds like you coped and that's all any of us can hope for. Congrats on a new stage, one step closer to them turning 18 and getting out of the house. Oh, just me longing for that?

9/9/10, 6:10 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

Oh god, I should have told you my best advice. never, ever go watch recess. if you're not crying at your kid playing by themselves (which they all do from time to time), you're crying at another kid playing by themselves, another kid being mistreated, a kid falling down and hurting themselves.

Do yourself a favor and don't ever go back. Let what happens on the playground, stay on the playground. Your heart will be so much better for it!

hang in there. xoxo

9/9/10, 7:05 PM  
Blogger Liz said...

oh no! i read the stalking him part and cringed! I hope it gets better for you guys!

9/9/10, 8:04 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

Sigh. Hope he charms his way into Kindy too. It just takes time. Here's to week 2.

9/9/10, 10:25 PM  
Blogger tulpen said...

See. I didn't have to go through this shit with my son. He'd been going to the same school since he was 18 months old... full time at 4 years old.

Yeah yeah yeah...I cried like a little pussy when I left him for preschool, but he was FINE. Totally fine. I think I cried 'cause he was better off with his Deaf school peeps than he was with me...

Either way... kids are ass holes who turn us all into slobbering piles of mush.

9/9/10, 10:58 PM  
Blogger The Zany Housewife said...

Stalking your child at recess. That sounds like something I'd do..or will be doing in a few short years. The very thought of even preschool freaks me out. I can just see my daughter bolting out of the car without so much as a hug for dear old mom. She's cool like that. I, on the other hand, will need to be heavily sedated.

p.s. happy belated bd to your little guy.

9/9/10, 11:12 PM  
Blogger Bag Lady said...

The visual I have of you stalking your own child is cracking me up.

9/10/10, 1:03 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

She sent you the Kissing Hand! She's a keeper!

9/10/10, 8:13 PM  
Blogger michelle said...

Stalking your own kid? Entirely too funny. Especially since he's only 5. I stalk my 13 year old when he's hangin' with his peeps. Some of whom are girls. With boobs.

Just you wait...

9/12/10, 8:04 AM  
Blogger essbesee said...

M. just read the kissing hand at preschool and did a craft about it. I am totally stalking him when he starts kindergarten. and having a spa day. i like that part, too.

9/12/10, 10:30 PM  

Post a Comment

Say hi, dammit! For the love o Gah, I hope you have an e-mail that I can reply to. Plleeeease say you do!

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home